“Congratulations, Senator Cardin.” No kidding. I think you’re a classic example of what’s wrong with Congress, but, to be polite, what the heck, “Congratulations.” It’s only business, albeit the business of politics. I have nothing against you personally.
In Maryland’s the three-way race for Senator, there has been a last-minute initiative from Republican Dan Bongino’s campaign aimed not at Democrat incumbent Ben Cardin, but at Mr. Bongino’s alleged nemesis, Independent candidate Rob Sobhani.
First things first. If you’re wondering about the featured image, those are “Incumbent Hogs,” so named by animal scientists for their addiction to green colored feed donated by the same especially interested parties who intend to eat them (the hogs) later.
Yesterday, I posted a similarly titled article about a television commercial Senator Cardin ran during the primary. (Ben Cardin is running for his second term as a US Senator from Maryland, having spent the 20 years before that in the House.) The commercial he ran in March was the first of his “My friend, Ben” series and featured a small child talking about how the Senator “wrote a law so every kid can see a dentist.” That never happened.
Senator Ben Cardin is running for re-election to his second term in the Senate, after 20 years in the House. Back in March, prior to the primary that he won, Senator Cardin ran his first commercial in the series called “My friend, Ben.” This first one in the series features a cute little boy talking, in his own voice apparently, about what Senator Cardin has done to assure dental care for financially disadvantaged children.
Yesterday afternoon, someone who reads my blog made me aware of a website address (for a WordPress blog) that includes the name of Maryland Independent candidate for Senate, Rob Sobhani. The URL makes it seem as if it’s an official campaign website, but it’s not. Instead, it’s a blog that claims to be “vetting” Rob Sobhani and then proceeds to do so it in a sophomoric, dishonest and prejudicial way. I’m not repeating the URL here because I don’t want to give the site traffic it doesn’t deserve, and because the existence of the site isn’t the point of this article.
No kidding. In a recent Gonzales Research statewide poll, incumbent Ben Cardin got support from 50% of the 813 respondents, versus Dan Bongino’s 22% and Rob Sobhani’s 21%. Add the two latter numbers together, you get 43% with 7% undecided, and Dan Bongino’s thinking he’d be within striking range if this were only a two-candidate race.